Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Book Censorship and Banning


One of the reasons why I love going to school and want to become a teacher is because I feel that at school I have an infinite supply of knowledge. I feel that this should be the way that every child feels when they walk into their school and especially when they walk into their library. I believe that they have the right to knowledge as a student and should be able to access it whenever they please. I think that school is all about learning things from different perspectives, times, and people and shouldn't be limited to one point of view. Many other people both teachers, students, and parents alike feel the same way so why are some of the most influential books of all time being banned from schools? Classic books like "Huckleberry Finn" are banned from some schools because of racism and language used in the book which was perfectly normal for the time period, another book "Of Mice and Men" has been banned for containing profanity. I have read both of these books along with many others that are listed on the banned list like "The Catcher in the Rye”, “To Kill a Mockingbird", "Lord of The Flies", and the "Harry Potter" series. Needless to say I ended up pretty good even though I read these books. I didn't become a racist, I don't swear a lot, and to tell you the sad truth I don't really think I’m a wizard and that I attend Hogwarts(unfortunately). I think that when people, especially parents, find out that there's a bad word or a racist comment in a book they go over the top and race into protective mode for a child that’s old enough to know these things. They don't want their children to grow up and learn what has been and what is out there in the world. You can't protect your children forever and they do want to gain this knowledge and be educated in classic books. There are books out there that obviously shouldn't be read in the classroom. But the classics that ones that have been read in the classroom for generations should never be banned because they still have knowledge that is relevant to today's teachings.
http://712educators.about.com/od/bannedbooks/tp/banned_books.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment